Sunday, 23 March 2014

My right foot



Living beside a stony beach, everyone here always has the same dilemma - which shoes to wear? Old, just found or new?

One of the best things to do early on a weekend morning is to stroll into town along the edge of the waves to buy croissants and the paper. Most likely you'll have the beach to yourself, or maybe see someone out walking the dog, a few distant joggers or a lone sea swimmer slick as a seal, parallel to shore.

But you need to choose your footwear carefully before you hit the shore. There's no way flip flops will make the distance. They'll make you give in. You'll sneak up onto the promenade after less than 5 minutes, hoping to find no swathes of tide-hefted gravel or broken glass. Or you'll wish you'd put on sensible footwear when you get another pebble inside your jelly shoes.

You'd have to find the missing other to this pair, but how about this?


It comes with wildlife. Common goose barnacles. Their name apparently originates from the myth that these creatures would hatch into Barnacle geese.


Think I might stick with my old favourites.

9 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

What amazing little creatures! Yes, stick with a good pair of shoes that will get you to the croissants pronto! How is your garden growing?

Annie said...

Hi Mary Ann. Yes, couldn't believe it when they started moving as I carried the shoe home!! I abandoned the croissants trip and any thought of trying to find a hiding place away from the breakfast desires of seagulls and brought the shoe home. Now what does that say about me?!! Take a camera out, Annie!!

ArtPropelled said...

Surprising where barnacles will grow.Croissants and the Sunday papers .... and coffee ..... Mmmm, sounds good.

Annie said...

Hi Robyn. Thanks. Yes, I guess they just are keen to set up home on anything that stays put. I assume this shoe was stuck somewhere between rocks until the storms came.

Fiona Dempster said...

We call them goose-neck barnacles here, for obvious reasons…how fun to find the shoe and its inhabitants. Our sandy beaches are clearly easier on the foot! Glad you can be out walking tho - as Spring tentatively appears.

Naquillity said...

love how those barnacles attached themselves to that shoe. i think i'd probably use solid shoes for walking along the beach everyday. if i were doing it for a few hours i'd probably go barefoot... hope all is well. have a great day~

Annie said...

Hi Fiona. Thanks. Was a startling find! I couldn't quite believe it. Yes, I grew up near wide sandy beaches where Barefoot was the way to go, so I do miss that. You're right though - it's netter to be out in this first rush of spring.

Hi Naquillity. Thanks. Good to hear from you! I just came back from the beach and was wondering if cross country skis would work here!! No, I won't be trying. Hoping spring is showing first signs at your place.

Sharmon Davidson said...

I would be glad to have the shoe, as a crazy piece of conceptual art or a wildlife refuge... probably wouldn'r wear it as a shoe, though... It's interesting that people would think those shells hatch into barnacle geese, isn't it?

Annie said...

Hi Sharmon. Thanks for commenting so long after I last posted. As you can see, I am still here, but unsure how to proceed......The shell shoe was an amazing find. I didn't think to try it on!! I took it back to a rocky part of the beach in the hope that the barnacles thrived. Yes, very weird about geese legend.