Saturday, 21 December 2013

700 Inkhaven posts


Please click on image to read text.

From where it all began on 7th June 2008........ a blissful night of sketching in the relentless rain beside the overflowing banks of Malham Tarn in the Yorkshire Dales. My very first Inkhaven post, "Like a runaway tattoo,"described wild times with an ink pen in my hand.

700 posts later, I can still recall the details of that dramatic night - ink on the run, mud on my boots, the taste of that rain as it ran down my face, the immensity of the sky and the lake and the land looming up all around us, the playfulness in those sketches - what were we thinking of?!! And linked to it always, the mix of nerves and excitement as I started out on a new writing adventure, not knowing where I was heading.

Sometimes, I still don't know where I'm heading! But I think that's a good thing.

Thank you to everyone who has read Inkhaven over the last 5 years, to all my lovely followers and to every single one of you who has commented on my posts. Special thanks go to those of you who've become blog buddies over the years. It truly wouldn't be possible to continue doing this without knowing that you are all out there CREATING NEW WORK in places near and far that I can only dream about.

The rain is battering against the windows. The wind sounds like an incoming surge tide. Everything in the garden has taken on a quirky lean. Bare branches scratch dancing lines against a metal sky. Might have to get my boots on soon.......





12 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

700 posts! That's not to be sneezed at, is it Annie?! Reading the text in the image above, I remember it was your writing style that attracted me to your blog so many posts ago. Congrats on your 700th post!

Annie said...

Dear Robyn. Yes, 700!! I noticed it was notching up closer a few weeks ago. Thank you very much for reading Inkhaven and for being one of the people who I've been lucky to come to know through blogging. I have a nice bottle of wine open. Should we start a little party?

Kelly Marszycki said...

Congratulations on 700 posts! OMG, kudos, brava, etc. And thank you for the link to the Tarn -- magnificent terrain! May the ink keep flowing along with your creativity in 2014!

Annie said...

Hi Kelly. Thank you very much!! Pleased you liked the link to Malham Tarn. It's a spectacular area that I know will always draw me back. The ink has been flowing today, although I chose to stay out of the rain. Thanks for your good wishes.

Fiona Dempster said...

Dear Annie - big congrats and wow! Thank you for all your words and images, like Robyn. I fell in love with your way with words and am so pleased I get the chance to stop by and get uplifted...best wishes for a safe and happy and peaceful Christmas too.

Annie said...

Dear Fiona. Thank you very much. It does feel a bit WOW!! What began as a daily writing project turned into something very different. Thanks for your kind words and for keeping in touch through these web pages. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and hoping 2014 brings you creative and peaceful times.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Wow, 700 posts! Beautiful beginning, your words take the reader into the rain, ink, and all. Thank you for sharing this perfect launching ... Congratulations!

Annie said...

Dear Mary Ann. Thank you. Still seems a lot!! Anyway, pleased you liked the rainy intro from a few years ago. Plenty of rain on the go here at the moment with not enough hill or beach time because of it. Here's to the next 700 posts and lots more creative adventures!!

jem said...

Well done on sticking with it, with far more consistency than me! Always great to come here, always familiar, new, comforting and inspiring at the same time!

Annie said...

Hi Jem. Thank you. Still can't believe all those posts and all that time has passed! Thanks for your kind words and as always, for reading. Ax

Gwil W said...

Malham is truly an inspiring spot. A lovely walk it is in any weather with the right gear but in t-shirt weather with a sandwich in the rucksack to go from Malham Cove to Malham Tarn and back or maybe venture wider afield . . . I once took a group up a waterfall in one of the side canyons, and they were all thrilled to bits to emerge at the top. Good luck to you, Annie.

Annie said...

Hi Gwil. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Yes, so much great walking country around Malham. Great sketching country as well, which is what first pulled me there. Sounds like you've got fond memories of that area as well. Think I need to go back again! Best wishes for 2014.