Saturday, 30 November 2013

Corks


Rare, these days. Corks. Almost every bottle of wine comes with an easy open, easy close screw top. Great if you just fancy one glass. But I do miss the sense of occasion the soft pop of a cork brings, how it draws the fragrance out behind it. 

Having written in excess of 58000 words through November, which I've now drawn to a temporary close, I've enjoyed a fine glass or 2 of NZ Sauvignon Blanc to round things off. 

I like this row of wine corks lined up as part of someone's fence, wished I had more than 3 of my own stashed in the kitchen drawer waiting to start my own version. 

I've been taking lots more photos lately, having joined a photography group in the Summer. I wanted to meet some new people with similar interests and also to look more closely and playfully at the ordinary and the extraordinary that is right here, all around. I've made some interesting new friends and it's been great to see what other people notice. What we all see differently on the same street corner is an inspiration. 

On my mind as I've been typing away through the last month, has been this blog. I've been asking myself if what I set up several years ago still serves me and my creative work in the same ways as before. And I guess the unsurprising answer is that sometimes it does and sometimes not. I struggle to keep hold of the thread of it. Yes, I could close Inkhaven, but I would desperately miss the connections with blog friends I've made across the world and of that sense of being part of a creative community across art forms and genres.

So, all these ideas are bubbling up and floating into space.....

Having taken lots of photos in the centre of town, where we seemed to cause a stir as there were so many of us snapping away on quiet side streets, we finished one of our photo walks watching the bubble man. It wasn't just the kids who were spellbound. I love the palace turret floating up into the trees.


Blogs and blogging have changed. And I think the writing of them has changed as well. Perhaps I also need a change? Maybe? Except right now, I don't know how else to do it.


At least....


not yet.

7 comments:

Douglas Gates said...

nice photographs…and I love to read your talking to yourself.

I myself wish I had kept every cork I ever took from a wine bottle and I would now make two 22 x 30 pictures of my entire wine drinking life, well maybe three at most...

Annie said...

Hi Douglas. Thanks. Pleased you liked the shots. Seems I might not be talking to myself after all, given that you replied! Yes, I wish I'd kept all the others as well, although I'd probably still have some room left in the kitchen drawer!

Jeane Myers said...

isn't the camera a magic little gift!! it is able to do that thing that I have trouble with, focus on a small moment!! it has taught me alot - I too ponder blog land for the same reasons as you - I too leave it alone for right now until that next fabulous ideas floats in front of me xo

LieselPaula said...

I so enjoy your blog whether it's your talking to yourself or a tutorial or your photography. Guess we all should have kept our corks! If you have a Trader Joe nearby, their Charles Shaw wines (2 buck chuck for $3) still have corks. And Consumer Report gave it a good rating.

Annie said...

Hi Jeane. Well I just love taking photos! I think it makes me pay attention better to what so often slips by unnoticed. As you know, I live in a very quirky seaside town, so the show starts on my doorstep. Even better is to head out with the photo group. Yes, to blog or not to blog.....Thanks for your thoughts. Ax


Hi LeiselPaula. Thanks for dropping by and for your kind words. Sadly, I am a very long way away from Trader Joe. Seems like only the top notch bottles still have the corks here. I'll just have to build a fence panel out of other things instead!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Joining a photography group is a great idea ... common goals, shared sites and unique perspectives ... it all sounds like such fun!
Yes, blogland is a bit of a mystery to me, I see changes, I see stats that report numbers of visitors but not so much connection. I'm willing to continue right now as it fits me but eyes wide open as this world is full of changes.

Annie said...

Hi Mary Ann. The photo group has been great, so good in fact that now there's a second one! The best things are the photo walks we go on, where there's plenty of time to chat and share bad jokes and sometimes a beer. Oh, and take lots of shots as well!! Your blog land thoughts echo mine. Wonder where the adventure will take us....