Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Getting the wind in your hair


That time of year when I struggle with having less time outdoors and find myself adrift without outdoor den places to work in. Yes, I  could wrap up in every waterproof I own and shuffle out to the wind-wrecked beach with my notebook in a rustling plastic bag, but it's not what I had in mind.

I have been consumed by a piece that came bubbling into my notebook last month, just a short piece. Except soon I was adding a bit more each day. Some days it was the only piece I worked on. Some days I wrote pages and pages. So, before I knew it, a short story became a much longer one and the word count grew. 

I look back at that first page I wrote and wonder how it managed to spark off so many words. Thankfully, I just got on and wrote them down. Lots of them!

After all of that, there's no surprise that I've needed a rest. Lots of walks in the rain. Gazing into space. Picking my apples. Planting new garlic and broad beans. Doing the weeding with no thoughts in my head. And going out even when the sky is a white drag of bluster and rain spittle.

The other day I went out with Karen and met some gorgeous Exmoor ponies who have been brought into a conservation area on the Downs to do some useful grazing. Never has standing around in a wet field been so much fun!! As you can see, they had the wind in their hair as well. 


13 comments:

Laura said...

Hi, stumble up you blog this morning and was pulled in even more by the image of the pony...and the wind in their hair.

Thanks
~v~Laura

Annie said...

Hi Laura. Well thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. There were about 20 ponies and I think we were all really happy to see each other!

Matthew Paul said...

"a white drag of bluster and rain spittle" - beautiful writing, Annie.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Long stretches of writing topped off with fresh air and wind with the ponies...does it get better than this? I'm so smiling!

Annie said...

Hi Matthew. Thanks. Blue skies never seem to inspire words like those. Think I need wild weather for wild writing!

Hi Mary Ann. Been using my usual tactics - write for an hour, 10 pages or about 1500 decent words and then I'm ALLOWED OUT!! So, it's been tricky to face storms, gales and driving rain after all my hard work. Really pleased this made you smile.

jem said...

Even reading about your writing excites me - I love that feeling when it works like that - when it feels like it's writing you rather than the other way round!

Annie said...

Hi Jem. That's great! Yes, have certainly been taken on a few adventures with this project - there's no way I was in control of what was happening!!

Caterina Giglio said...

not many things better than hanging out with horses...

Annie said...

Hi Caterina. Thanks. Yes, it was quite something. Will have to go back soon and see how they're doing. Best wishes from another Brighton!

Jeane Myers said...

oh, it sounds like you have been 'fully in!' - such a good place to be running with that creative intuitive part of yourself!! totally understand the exhaustion it creates but it's the good kind, like hiking to your fav lookout place and being out of breath when you get there - the horses are wonderful xo

Annie said...

Hi Jeane. Yes, "fully in" just about says it!! Was a wonderful surprise to suddenly be part of that kind of flowing. Like your mountain hike image! Thinking about the ponies has made me smile throughout the whole week. And I guess I might see them all again, as my friend Karen who I went with is going to be a volunteer lookerer who will go out and check on them and help with rounding them up when they need to move to a new site. Ax

Fiona Dempster said...

If you're not gazing into a duckpond then ruffling horses' manes is a good alternative! You sound busy, but happy busy. Hope you are safe from the big storm.

Annie said...

Hi Fiona. Yes, lovely things to be doing after a big splurge of writing. Thanks for asking about the storm. All ok here, although the early hours of this morning were deafening. Been watching storms at sea from a safe distance today.