Monday, 23 September 2013

Sometimes you just need to gaze into the duck pond


I am not 20 any more - in case you were wondering. A couple of late nights in a row and I feel like I could sleep for a week, uninterrupted.

So yesterday, it was blissful to walk past the duckpond and to just give in to the need to slow down and gaze. The ducks were away on a Sunday outing, but tinging at the surface, water boatmen, dragonflies, fish, frogs, all those tiny buzzy insects which I can't name, gave just enough movement to stop eyes from closing and me sinking down into the lush of mossy green plants and mud mud mud.

It was a grey afternoon, better for not being blue, for not having sun, for not wanting ice creams or beer. Better for me to just do this one simple quiet thing.

I have been "taken over" by a new piece these last couple of weeks and have somehow been able to give it space and energy while still doing the plate spinning that is life. And it's good to go from day job, to beach walks, to meeting friends, to garden, to creative projects, to veggie plot, to watching the sky, to cooking dinner, to sitting in my thinking chair and gazing into space. I wouldn't want it any other way.

So, I'm sorry I haven't been writing here as often as before. Mostly it has been good to lie down at the end of the day and to gaze into the duck pond.