Friday, 19 July 2013

Pavilion


I was in London having a dose of culture for a couple of days, catching up on all the things I love about cities. 

Long blue days all around. Perfect timing to see this installation - the Serpentine Gallery 2013 Pavilion, designed by Sou Fujimoto. Perfect timing also, to loll in the park and enjoy long picnics through the hot afternoons!


The gallery is situated in Kensington Gardens and features a different outdoor Pavilion each year. I loved that you could walk up the steps and sit on or beneath it, even stay a while to have a drink at the little cafe inside.  


Looking at it from the deep shade provided by the trees, I was reminded of a construction kit of hexagons and slats from my childhood, except it had coloured pieces as bright as boiled sweets or stained glass windows. I like to imagine that Sou's childhood might have involved such project building.