Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Buried treasure 2013


Seth Apter over at The Altered Page comes up with some great ideas to get lots of people involved in blogging about their creative adventures. My post today is part of Buried treasure 2013 where the idea is that bloggers re post a favourite piece. Seth will be adding links to the list there as more bloggers join in.

The Inkhaven post I picked is from July last year - Found on the undercliff. It was hard to choose, but I ended up with a handful of posts that all seemed to lean on the same themes. I chose this one for several reasons, the main one being how it conjures up my favourite kind of day. Long walks with no clock watching, heading off somewhere wild with a notebook in my pocket. Strangely, it also echoes the beach landscapes here on this coast, with shoulders of chalk cliffs looming above low tide pebble beaches. The undercliff is a stretch of promenade that heads away from town right beneath these cliffs.

It also holds an enthusiasm for creative work which has to be one of the best things ever! It reminds me of times when I have been absolutely lost in the wonder of making work, when the kitchen is a heave of papers, paints and ink. When my writing notebook is spilling with ideas and fingerprints. When the back door is open onto the garden and a robin pecks at crumbs in the doorway and dinner will have to wait a while......

This post also generated a huge clutch of comments from artists whose work I admire. It was great to be in touch with so many people. So, here it is again -

Found on the undercliff - originally posted on 4th July 2012

Walking along, thinking of nothing in particular, I found this board, carried it home even though it made my hand blue and rubbed chalk down one leg. I thought I'd use it as a base for a painting, except....

Except, having had it in the kitchen since the weekend, I love it exactly how it is! Treasure!

And it has got me thinking. This is the kind of artwork I've been attempting (and failing) to produce these last few years. So, instead of using square or rectangular canvases and boards, guess where I'll be looking? Yes, the tide line and maybe a skip in a backstreet for discards. And instead of tightening up and scratching my head hoping to be inspired I just need to press go and explore materials in a way more akin to how I do free writing or free improv music. More akin to how I produce other work that I then go on to polish or edit or develop. More akin to how I work best.

I always liked throwing and pouring ink, rubbing surfaces in sand and grit, letting the land add something to my sketches, using thick gesso or decorating filler and scratching into it.

All very exciting. I feel the kitchen table might not do any more!