Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Happy World Book Day 2013


7th March is World Book Day, a day marked in some 100 countries to celebrate books and reading. The main aim is to encourage children to spend time enjoying books and reading them. But that doesn't have to mean the rest of us can't join in!

One of my own aims through 2012 and beyond has been to read more writers who I never knew before. And it's been great, although I've often woken up with the lamp still on and the pages folded back at odd hours before dawn with some of the books I haven't been able to put down.

Anyway, as a way of celebrating, here's a list of some of those books that have kept me awake well beyond bedtime over the last few months. And a few I had to go back and start again because they were so good.


  • Anne Tyler The accidental tourist. Had me laughing out loud. Who needs the film?
  • Sarah Hall How to paint a dead man. 4 fascinating lives wrapped together. A favourite writer.
  • Beryl Bainbridge The girl in the polka dot dress. Road trip adventure. Great characters.
  • Jo Shapcott Six bee poems. I have read and re-read these.
  • A L Kennedy The blue book. Finished this and then started it again. 
  • Alison Moore The lighthouse. Has an odd chill about it. A writer I'll look out for again.
  • Ian Sansom Paper - and elegy. Everything you need to know. He makes it fun.
  • Simon Armitage Walking home. Poet walks the backbone of England. Lots of weather.
  • Tove Jansson The Winter book. Better if you save it for the right time of year. 
  • Ali Smith Artful. She's one of my favourite writers. Love this. Trying to make it last.
Happy reading!

9 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

Reading and books are near and dear to my heart. I would give anything if I could get my students to read. Thanks for all the great book suggestions; I'm adding these to my list.

Fiona Dempster said...

Happy World Book Day Annie I hope you have a fine one! Thanks too for the list - I love a list of books to forage for so shall head off and look them up!

Annie said...

Hi Sharmon. Thanks. Maybe you could read to them? It might spark them off. It might knock their socks off!! Hope something from the list inspires you. (There's a book by Mark Salzman True notebooks which tells how he worked on writing projects with juvenile offenders. It will make you smile and make you weep.)

Hi Fiona. Thanks. I've got a busy day ahead, so not sure I'll fit any reading in until after dinner. Foraging for books sounds like a fine pastime!

jem said...

Some great reads there Annie - I love love love Sarah Hall. And I read the Moore as part of my Booker reading - as you say quite a chilling tone - reminded me of a foreign film sort of atmosphere.

Annie said...

Hi Jem. Thanks. yes, Sarah Hall is one of my all time top writers. She had a play on radio 3 a few weeks ago - The stranger's will - that was stunning, I just had to drop everything and sit still. Wonder if you heard it? Did you read the whole Booker list? Anything else you liked from it?

jem said...

Thanks for the play tip-off, will check if it's still available to listen to.

I read all but the Mantel last year. Stand out favourites for me were Umbrella (Will Self) very clever but more accessible than many would expect. I also liked Philida and The Garden of Evening Mists - both very atmospheric, strong characters, strong prose.

Annie said...

Hi Jem. I'm assuming the play won't still be available to listen again now as it was a few weeks ago, but maybe they'll repeat it? I've liked some of Will Self's work so I'll take up your tip and try Umbrella. Thanks. Looks like my reading pile might be set to grow into a tower again!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Thanks for the list...I am drawn to the Sarah Hall book!

Annie said...

Hi Mary Ann. Well, she's an amazing writer. Most of her books I've had to re read. I found her novel Haweswater by chance in the library, which went on to big things.