Monday, 18 February 2013

Atlas


Atlas Eclipticalis by John Cage sits on my stand. I look at it across the room. There's some sort of connection with this shot, but I'm not sure what it is yet. Sometimes, things have to go to ground for a while and sit in a burrow before they make sense. 

I see something score-like in this beach find. And there's no surprise, really, as the next shot shows part of the musical score I am learning to decipher. 


It's a visual feast. And a piece with a history - used in work choreographed by Merce Cunningham. The title is taken from star maps found in an astronomical atlas. Tracings for these maps onto musical staves determined musical pitches and orchestral "constellation" events in the piece.

Atlas Eclipticalis by John Cage sits on my stand. I look at it across the room. Already, I'm lost in time and space.