Friday, 12 October 2012

Carnivalesque


These baby corn have to be one of my all time favourite vegetables to grow on the plot. Every stage of their growing is just beautiful. Something carnivalesque about the harvest. The last few heads always signal the end of the growing season.

The stems are still standing, leaves slumped towards the ground, turning paper dry. I say it every year, that the leaves would make lovely handmade paper, but I never get round to making it. This year, I'm thinking the leaves might be good to just write on as they turn thinner and paler. Hmmm.....I see a space beside the boiler that could hold a tray of leaves.......

One of the weekend jobs - if it stops raining - is to start the big Autumn tidy up and set Winter garlic and broad beans into the soil. Hope to find a few last berries as well.