Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Buried treasure


So many blogs...so little time

said Seth Apter at The Altered Page who is hosting a gathering today called Buried Treasure.

This has been an annual event where participants re-post a favourite post that appeared on their blog. Another of Seth's great ways to bring lots of bloggers together. Links will be added through the day on Seth's blog from those participating, so take a look and see what you discover! Thanks to Seth for bringing us all together.

For me, there was no question about what to re-post. There was a drawing workshop last year that took me into another world and I had a ball. Interesting that at the moment, despite being busy with the biggest project of my life, my artwork is nudging me into finding better ways of working. My previous post described where I seem to be heading with it. All very exciting.

However, right now, I'm going to be recalling one of the happiest times as I re-post these next words. Enjoy!

Drawn to the beat (from 18th May 2011)














Click!

So, you cover the whole floor in paper, get out some crayons and turn the music up loud!!

I didn't know that the secret headbanger in me would be in her element when I went to a workshop called Drawn to the beat last Saturday night. It has to be one of the most memorable night's ever, and certainly top of my drawing experiences.

It was given by Naomi Kendrick who is a visual artist from Manchester. There's lots of info about her work on her blog including some video of such an event. The photos are gorgeous as well. This all happened at Fabrica, where I've also done other unusual workshops that I've previously posted about.

I had thought that I might snap a few shots before, during and after. However.......

........I got a bit carried away and 2 hours had passed by in a crayon frenzy with sweat running down the side of my face as I worked before I knew it. It reminded me a bit of ecstatic dance without much footwork. Totally engrossing. In another world. Just wonderful. (That glass of beer afterwards was pretty wonderful as well!!)

THANK YOU NAOMI and THANK YOU FABRICA!!

All these shots are taken across the finished floor. As you can see, there wasn't much white paper left by the time the music stopped!!














This last one shows my work in the foregound with the dark swooping shape and the geometric circle. Guess it measured about 4 foot across. My knee discovered that rather lovely grid cover in the floor which became more and more golden as I worked.