Sunday, 25 July 2010

Afon Glaslyn















The river roared and the rain poured down and made the river rage even more. It was all very dramatic in Wales, where I spent last week beside Afon Glaslyn in Snowdonia. No wonder I keep wondering why the house seems so quiet! I so miss hearing it threading through the house.

It was very reassuring to see the mountains emerging from the rain and mist again. The first and last shots here were done looking out from the little garden right alongside the river. That rocky outcrop below is partly covered in rhododendron, so you can imagine what it's like when in flower.

However, I had to resort to some sketching indoors while we could only see grey rain and a river that seemed to be high on the ride. YES, I know - me who likes to be out there in the Westerlies! I've never explored line and wash in a storm and didn't take up that challenge this time, having no welly boots. (Drat, I hear you say.) So, the next couple of shots show some little river studies. They made me feel much better about being confined indoors in one of the most gorgeous parts of Britain. Thank goodness for my little watercolour box, ink and wax.
































So, I guess it's no surprise that as soon as the skies started to clear, we were out, heading into those mountains, making up for lost time. I'll post some shots of the views soon, but I have to tell you that I've never seen this part of the world looking so stunning.