Thursday, 29 April 2010

Two gig week - part 1

Two gig week. It's been a while since that happened. So that's where my thoughts have been this week while I've been doing all the other stuff.

Last night I played a half hour improvised set with my duo partner Dave, who plays guitar. The only plan we ever have is to have a ball. Talk about rock 'n' roll. It's like we go on stage and a massive switch is flicked on as two instruments flare into life. The sounds take over and in a sense, we are gone, out of the picture. No map for this musical territory, but it makes for great adventures.

So, this music is free improvisation, unbound by the set-ups of key, formal structures, melody and harmony that build other kinds of music. It's the sonic equivalent of abstract art where tiny threads from every aspect of music can dance on a broad canvas.

And while you might be thinking, "Where's the tune, the riff, the groove?" Well, you might be surprised that this kind of music doesn't have to have them, although they do sometimes sneak in for a while on their way to morphing into something else.

Anyway, we were so happy with how the gig went and how the audience responded. We're hoping to listen back to a recording of the set soon, but in the meantime, I want to say a big thank you to Jeane over at ARTIT for posting so enthusiastically about my music here.

I hope you'll come back to read about tonight's gig when I next post as it's going to be a bit of a new venture with improvised music and poetry coming closer together.