Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Thaw

I wish I could drop the obsession.

It leans on me as I work, leaves less space for bold thoughts and creative adventures. It sits somewhere in my head behind my thoughts like a dull and heavy weight. A distraction that won't go away. Brace yourself for the painful truth......

I'm obsessing about being unable to dig up my parsnips.

There, I've said it. Feels better already.

I know. There are parsnips in the shops. Clean and uniform with no funny bumps on them. But I have many in the ground and the plot smells wonderful just there as I look down on the mess the ice has made of their leaves. The ground is still frozen, although the world is no longer white here.

I'm waiting for a thaw. And I think it might take a while longer. I haven't eaten any of my precious Winter crop yet, and I'm just hoping that they haven't turned woody in the ground.