Friday, 11 July 2008

Hitting the road

Early in the morning, I will be on the road to Wales for a break, returning to a place that is a perfect spot for me. The little house in Snowdonia where I stay backs onto a river and you can sit and look at the mountains from the outside dining table, or from a rock in the middle of the river if you fancy a refreshing paddle first. Those rocks are just great to sit on with a nice glass of wine after a day's walking in the mountains.

So, I will be taking a break from blogging for a while given I don't have much choice about it in this little world apart. No phone, no mobile signal and no internet. There's no internet cafe in the village either. I had thought about scheduling some posts to keep up my daily pieces for while I'm away, but it all feels contrived. And also, having flopped after finishing work today, it is just too daunting a job. This is the start of my holiday after all and not time to take on more than I would wish. It has been tough enough to get everything packed and to sort out the allotment ready for it's week with the minders.

Today, as I tied up lots of loose ends at work and collected my writing and painting gear together, I was thinking about how all of my work has very blurred boundaries with what I regard as play. Sometimes, I don't think I know the difference between the two. They are so intertwined that I cannot see the separate strands. However, I never take an instrument on holiday with me. Years of playing music every day make holidays away from it very special.

What I will be doing on this holiday is slowing down and enjoying exploring that area again, being outdoors in the mountains as much as I can, and putting pen or paint to page or canvas when I feel the need. I don't know if I will write daily or not. It will be good to have a space to see how things lie and to let things have a little life of their own. I'm sure I'll come back with lots of new images to fuel my next round of blogging. It's been a great experience so far and I will be looking forward to writing here once I am home again.